The term holistic health has become an infamous catch word in today's society. When it comes down to you and your health, it's important to know how holistic health protocols and practices can not only make your healthier but how it can also be critical to your success at work.
With today's economic and financial crunch, missing time away from your job or work if you are self-employed due to health issues can put a real strain on your pocketbook/wallet. Here are seven things that your Boss/Employer wants you to know about holistic health.
1. Start your day with a good breakfast. And No, a Grande Latte from Starbucks doesn't count as a good breakfast. Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast in the morning lose more weight consistently, are more alert in the morning, and tend to be less grumpy. Breakfast provides you with the energy an nutrients that lead to greater concentration. Also people who tend to eat breakfast have a lower risk of obtaining many health conditions. Just think about your insurance co-pay or the money you are missing out on from days you didn't work due to being sick.
2. Monthly massages can help alleviate workplace stress. A once or twice a month massage is a great way to help you combat not only work related stress, but stress in your life in general. A general relaxation massage ( read Swedish massage) is great for overall health maintenance and relaxation, but it's times like when your annual company inventory comes around or that big presentation you have to give that requires you to be in one position ( read hunched over a computer screen) for prolonged periods of time, that you may develop really tight and knotted muscles in your neck, arms and back. This may result in reduced movement and increased pain, and who wants to work like that. Schedule yourself a massage and see how effective it is in relieving some of your stress.
3. Herbal tea is better than drinking coffee. I know, I know, you still need your Starbucks daily, but herbal teas are much more better for you. They are a lot more economic as some teas can be steeped multiple times from the same leaves. They require less preparation, and no wasteful filters or expensive machines to prepare ( which is better for the earth really). Teas have a greater variety than coffees and it is only second to water in the most widely-consumed beverage in the world. Teas have way less caffeine than coffee, and it has been known to act as a stress reliever. Teas have also been shown to lower blood pressure and to help boost mental alertness and the body's immune system. Remember that the next time you stop by Starbucks.
4. 7 hours of sleep helps with productivity. Not getting enough sleep is a pain. It can make you groggy, cranky and even moody (attributes that will not get you the raise you are seeking). Some studies have shown that productivity often takes a dip around 3pm, as most people are normally worn out from lack of sleep, and a combination of the after lunch blahs. A 20 minute nap daily can combat that in addition to developing a sleep ritual that would set you for a great night of sleep. And ladies, studies have shown that we need at least 20 minutes more sleep than men.
5. Daily exercise. We all know that exercise, when done consistently can improve your health. It is a key component of managing your weight and maintaining a healthy heart and body. Recent research has found that regular exercise can also make you happier, more energetic and even smarter! A regular exercise routine can give your more energy throughout the day, boosting not only your physical energy, but your mental energy as well. So stop making excuses, get out there and move something. Even if it's just a 10 minute walk a day. It's a start!
6. Maintaining Proper Posture. I know the joys of sitting at a desk for hours and hours on end ( smile). However, Sitting and standing properly not only ensures that you able to practice proper breathing techniques but it also helps you to look thinner! It also helps to engage your core muscles, because when you stand up straight, you keep your abdominal muscles tightened, which can develop the strength of your stomach muscles and help you to lose weight. So sit up straight and stand tall, soon you will be the envy of the office for having awesome abs!
7. Hydrate Yourself. Drink water minutes before eating breakfast in the morning and it will help you to feel fuller faster , thus suppressing your appetite. Aside from that, drinking water ( at least half of your body weight in ounces) helps to keep your cells hydrated and it flushes out toxins out of your body's various systems. Keep water with you at all times, and be sure to stay hydrated before, during and after workouts, and when the weather is extremely hot and humid outside.
Taking care of yourself is a priority. Take care of you, for you! Start today!
if you are seeking guidance on how to deal with certain medical issues or you would like a jumpstart on how to get your health and wellness in check, schedule a health consultation with me and let's get you on the right path. Click here to learn how.
LaDawn "Khetnu Nefer" Frasier is a multi-passionate women's holistic health coach, who is dedicated to helping women overcome issues with their womb. As a uterine cancer survivor and a woman living with PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) she knows first hand how important holistic health is in helping women to heal themselves. This blog chronicles her health journey as well as provide tip and tools for others to utilize on their holistic health path.