Muscle aches and pains from a strenous workout can be relieved some from this awesome bath salt recipe.
I suggest using high quality essential oils like those found here www.adoulfultouchwellness.mynsp.com
On this day Jan. 26, 5 years ago, I had an emergency blood transfusion at the VA in Miami Florida. I had been literally bleeding to death through my heavy menstrual that had lasted almost 6 months at one point.
I had all the classic signs of anemia but I chose to ignore it because I had to work, I had bills to pay. As a trained holistic health practitioner, I should have known better, but being human like everyone else I know all too well how easy it is to put your health on the back burner.
The day before my transfusion, I went to the gym as usual to run on the treadmill. In the middle of my workout I almost fainted. The gym custodian saw this and he quickly ran to my aid. Little did I know at the time, that I was moments away from a possible heart attack or stroke because I didn't have enough blood in my body to handle the overexertion I was placing on my heart at the moment. Through God's grace I didn't, but it scared me enough to call my physician as I knew something was wrong.
I got an emergency appointment with my Dr. And I told her what had just happened and instantly decided to run some tests. She lovingly scolded me for not taking my iron consistently and she expressed her general concern of my current state. Like many of you, I knew what I was supposed to be doing, I just didn't do it. I was over 200 lbs and my womb issues were on 10. After the labs and her lecture, she instructed me to go home and rest.
The next morning I was awakened to start my day, yes I was heading back to work. Massage therapists don't have paid sick days or pto, and a day of lost revenue is no Bueno. I looked at my cell phone and saw that I had 11 missed calls from my Dr. The lab called her at home and told her how dire my blood tests were. My hemoglobin was a 3.4, which should normally be a 13 for a healthy woman. As I listened to her many voice mails, the urgency in her voice scared me. I really didn't realize how urgent this was. She implored me to get to the hospital immediately as I needed a transfusion asap as she feared that I could have a stroke or heart attack.
I drive myself to the VA, and was admitted immediately when the triage nurse saw the note on my record. She couldn't believe that I drove myself, because she said most people with hemoglobin that low are barely conscious or have enough energy to move. I had been working two jobs, doing African dance and yoga every friday, running on the treadmill every day, so her concern didn't compute to me. Despite the fact that I had all of the classic signs of anemia to include: an excessive craving for ice (I have ruined my teeth as a result of it), no matter how many hours of sleep I got I was always exhausted, I bruised easily, I had restless legs, heart palpations when I overexerted myself and the list goes on.
When I was admitted, my blood pressure was 210/130! The medical team looked at me in awe because they didn't understand how I didn't have a heart attack yet! The concern on their face alarmed me and I started yo get really scared. Later that evening I received my first liter of blood, and I felt like someone had breathed new life into me. I didn't realize how deficit I was until that new blood started coursing through my veins. I felt like I could run a marathon! I ended up getting two liters of blood. And my life hasn't been the same since.
I know that this was a long post, and thank you for reading this far. I wrote all of that to say this. Take great care of yourself. Stop ignoring your body and do what you need to do to get your health back on point. It isn't too late. And if you are a woman dealing with menstrual and womb issues, let me help you heal yourself naturally. I believed I was saved to help others. My Dr. Says I am a walking miracle and I embrace the second chance I have been given.
Please take care of yourself, i'm here to help you! Love you to life! ❤Khetnu
#takecareofyourselftuesday #asoulfultouch #selfcare #wombhealth
The term holistic health has become an infamous catch word in today's society. When it comes down to you and your health, it's important to know how holistic health protocols and practices can not only make your healthier but how it can also be critical to your success at work.
With today's economic and financial crunch, missing time away from your job or work if you are self-employed due to health issues can put a real strain on your pocketbook/wallet. Here are seven things that your Boss/Employer wants you to know about holistic health.
1. Start your day with a good breakfast. And No, a Grande Latte from Starbucks doesn't count as a good breakfast. Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast in the morning lose more weight consistently, are more alert in the morning, and tend to be less grumpy. Breakfast provides you with the energy an nutrients that lead to greater concentration. Also people who tend to eat breakfast have a lower risk of obtaining many health conditions. Just think about your insurance co-pay or the money you are missing out on from days you didn't work due to being sick.
2. Monthly massages can help alleviate workplace stress. A once or twice a month massage is a great way to help you combat not only work related stress, but stress in your life in general. A general relaxation massage ( read Swedish massage) is great for overall health maintenance and relaxation, but it's times like when your annual company inventory comes around or that big presentation you have to give that requires you to be in one position ( read hunched over a computer screen) for prolonged periods of time, that you may develop really tight and knotted muscles in your neck, arms and back. This may result in reduced movement and increased pain, and who wants to work like that. Schedule yourself a massage and see how effective it is in relieving some of your stress.
3. Herbal tea is better than drinking coffee. I know, I know, you still need your Starbucks daily, but herbal teas are much more better for you. They are a lot more economic as some teas can be steeped multiple times from the same leaves. They require less preparation, and no wasteful filters or expensive machines to prepare ( which is better for the earth really). Teas have a greater variety than coffees and it is only second to water in the most widely-consumed beverage in the world. Teas have way less caffeine than coffee, and it has been known to act as a stress reliever. Teas have also been shown to lower blood pressure and to help boost mental alertness and the body's immune system. Remember that the next time you stop by Starbucks.
4. 7 hours of sleep helps with productivity. Not getting enough sleep is a pain. It can make you groggy, cranky and even moody (attributes that will not get you the raise you are seeking). Some studies have shown that productivity often takes a dip around 3pm, as most people are normally worn out from lack of sleep, and a combination of the after lunch blahs. A 20 minute nap daily can combat that in addition to developing a sleep ritual that would set you for a great night of sleep. And ladies, studies have shown that we need at least 20 minutes more sleep than men.
5. Daily exercise. We all know that exercise, when done consistently can improve your health. It is a key component of managing your weight and maintaining a healthy heart and body. Recent research has found that regular exercise can also make you happier, more energetic and even smarter! A regular exercise routine can give your more energy throughout the day, boosting not only your physical energy, but your mental energy as well. So stop making excuses, get out there and move something. Even if it's just a 10 minute walk a day. It's a start!
6. Maintaining Proper Posture. I know the joys of sitting at a desk for hours and hours on end ( smile). However, Sitting and standing properly not only ensures that you able to practice proper breathing techniques but it also helps you to look thinner! It also helps to engage your core muscles, because when you stand up straight, you keep your abdominal muscles tightened, which can develop the strength of your stomach muscles and help you to lose weight. So sit up straight and stand tall, soon you will be the envy of the office for having awesome abs!
7. Hydrate Yourself. Drink water minutes before eating breakfast in the morning and it will help you to feel fuller faster , thus suppressing your appetite. Aside from that, drinking water ( at least half of your body weight in ounces) helps to keep your cells hydrated and it flushes out toxins out of your body's various systems. Keep water with you at all times, and be sure to stay hydrated before, during and after workouts, and when the weather is extremely hot and humid outside.
Taking care of yourself is a priority. Take care of you, for you! Start today!
if you are seeking guidance on how to deal with certain medical issues or you would like a jumpstart on how to get your health and wellness in check, schedule a health consultation with me and let's get you on the right path. Click here to learn how.
Spring is vastly approaching and I can't wait to thaw out! This winter has been honestly pretty cold, even down here in South Carolina where our winters are pretty temperate. I am excited though, because Spring is one of my favorite seasons right after Summer ( I was born in August, don't judge me!) But for many people, spring is the season that many dread because they deal with seasonal allergies.
Seasonal allergies, or allergies in general are often the result of a weakened immune system. In spring, your allergies are triggered by the plants and flowers shedding their pollen early. But if you look back to your winter activities, to include a sedentary lifestyle often trapped indoors and eating more heavy and processed foods that are more than likely laden with sugar, you can see how they can dampen your immune system. Add in the stress of daily life and you have a great equation for a weakened immune system that can trigger allergies.
So what is a general solution?
A great liver detox! The liver is the organ that removes many of your body's toxins and it affects your allergies. Key things that you need to remove from your lifestyle or to cut down on to aid in your liver functioning properly are drinking alcohol, smoking, and ingesting caffeine ( yes coffee drinkers, that means you too). Also cut down on fried foods, dairy, processed foods, and white foods ( pasta, white bread, bagels, crackers).
Starting you day with a glass of water containing freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice each morning is a quick and inexpensive way to jump start your liver detox. I personally use a few drops of Doterra lemon essential oil in my water in the morning and throughout the day. The antioxidants found in fresh fruit and vegetables, especially lemons help to reduce the inflammation in your liver and it helps to boost your immune function.
Including herbs into your lifestyle is another great way to help detox your liver and help to increase immune function. Some of my favorite herbs that I suggest to my clients to help alleviate their seasonal allergies are:
Nettle: natural anti-inflammatory and great to drink as an infusion ( using the loose leaves)
Echinacea: helps to balance and boost up the immune system
Rose Hips: naturally high in vitamin C , natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory
Mullein: natural expectorant, decongestant and a great sedative to the respiratory mucous membrane
Violet: natural expectorant and decongestant that also soothes irritated mucous membranes of the lungs
Golden seal: natural anti-imflammatory and it helps reduce and soothe swollen, irritated tissues. Great for airborne allergies.
I'd highly recommend my simple detox tea to help provide a gentle daily cleansing in addition to drinking the warm lemon water daily and my Mucus Buster herbal tea to help with respiratory ailments that are often triggered with seasonal allergies.
Also take a look at your diet and you may want to consider adding these foods to help you your body cleanse itself naturally as well as assist you in adding more nutrients into your diet:
Collard Greens or any other Green leafy vegetable
Garlic and onions
Please remember that almost everyone needs to detox, or cleanse themselves on a regular basis not just people who suffer from allergies. With these pauses in our lifestyles, we allow our bodies to rest and rejuvenate themselves. Essentially most allergies are a sign of an overworked liver that needs a thorough cleansing and a break. When we eat a balanced a diet that keeps our bodies regular, we need less intensive detoxification and allergy symptoms tend to decrease and often eliminate themselves.
If you have allergies, consider one or more of these cleansing and detox products to help ease the load on your bodies detoxification process. If you can’t commit to a detox right now but want a more natural solution to your allergies, check out these Natural Allergy Relief supplements and products.
*Statements made above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products suggested above are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure,or prevent any disease. This information provided is for educational purposes only and is not medical advice. Always consult your physician before beginning any diet or exercise program.
On October 4, 2014 A Soulful Touch Wellness sponsored Master Herbalist Yuma "Dr. Yew" Bellomee of Yew 360 Wholistic Health and Wellness out of Washington, DC to come and provide his skill and knowledge in a herb walk for the residents of the lowcountry here in Charleston, SC.
For the walk, we explored the West Ashley Geeenway from the John's Island side. We had 5 eager adults and 3 children and they took copius notes.
Dr. Yew helped them to identify up to 12 different herbs that grew here locally and how to incorporate them into their health routines.
We are excited to offer workshops like this and this is the first of a series of herbal walks that we will be offering here in Charleston. Dr. Yew conducts herb walks around the country and he is available to conduct them for private groups as well. Contact him at www.yew360.com for more information.
Thank you to everyone who attended this first herb walk and making it a huge success and special thanks to my partner Dr.Yew for his contributions and knowledge!
Here is my latest Youtube Video......I am offering you a water tip to help you hydrate yourself this summer. To see what I am I talking about click play!
Don't forget to like and subscribe to my Youtube channel :)
This past weekend in Surfside Beach, SC, I became certified in Fertility Massage through Claire Marie Miller Seminars, Inc, which is a part of her Nurturing the Mother (tm) series. My Instructor was Ms. Ellen Brady of Mother Earth Day Spa Surfside Beach, SC and I thoroughly enjoyed her teaching style. This class was brought about after Claire's own conscious conception of her own daughter Jessica and after Claire studying various massage techniques which resulted in assisting other women to naturally conceive children on their own.
I first became interested in this massage modality after being diagnosed with the early stages of uterine cancer a few years ago and having to come to grips with my own fertility issues. I can truly relate to the ever present pressure as a woman in her late who doesn't have any children and having to deal with the constant question of "when are you going to have kids?". I also have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which is a hormonal imbalance that involves the ovaries producing too much testosterone which then prevents the eggs from releasing into the fallopian tubes and they then turn into mini cysts with hard shells on the ovaries. This becomes a huge barrier in trying to become pregnant.
I am happy to say that I am now cancer free without any radiation or chemotherapy and I did not have to have a hysterectomy. The PCOS is something that I am continually healing myself from, but after this past weekend I am excited to have yet another tool to use to help combat it. After receiving the fertility massage on myself all weekend, I learned firsthand how amazingly powerful and healing this system really is. I am grateful for Claire Marie Miller for developing this technique. I am so looking forward to not only using this system to help others heal and conceive, but to use it to conceive myself!
What is Fertility Massage?
Fertility Massage is a non-surgical and non -invasive massage that promotes general well-being, relaxation, and most importantly the decrease of scarring, pelvic adhesions, or tubal obstruction and increases the functions of the reproductive organs. All of which is vitally important when trying to conceive a child.
This type of massage is also great for the treatment of PCOS, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes, ovarian cysts, painful menstrual cycles, and other reproductive conditions that affect women that causes low fertility.
Fertility massage does not replace the need for medical intervention such as oral hormone therapy, in-vitro fertilization, or hormone injections. It is actually a great tool for couples who are going through assisted reproductive technology to use to help the efficacy of these treatments. Fertility massage gives a more therapeutic approach, as we already know that massage already helps the body to achieve an optimum state of health, in addition to helping to relieve physical and emotional tension, both of which are commonplace when one is trying to conceive a child.
Fertility massage is designed to increase the blood flow to the uterus, ovaries and the fallopian tubes through deep abdominal massage and the use of castor oil packs. Castor oil therapy was introduced by a great healer by the name of Edgar Cayce and are used in this type of massage to help promote lymphatic drainage, and to help eliminate scar tissue and adhesions.
Benefits of Fertility Massage:
I am so excited to add this positive, natural, and cost effective alternative of natural health for fertility to my practice. In addition to the massage, I will also offer several herbal formulas that will work in conjunction with the fertility massage to further the possibility of helping a couple to conceive. This is not to dismiss the use of fertility drugs, but to allow the couple to try out natural, homeopathic and herbal remedies to provide themselves with a healthy environment for their child to be conceived. The herbal formulas will be offered through my marketplace here on this website.
In addition to the massage and the herbs, my clients will receive fertility yoga instruction, healthy diet suggestions, as well as guided meditation instruction to assist them in this process. Here at A Soulful Touch Wellness, I promote total holistic protocols that incorporate the mind, body and spirit. This massage services goes hand and hand with the pregnancy massage as well as the doula services I already offer. So my clients have a one stop shop when it comes to fertility and pregnancy.
For more information or to book a session feel free to call me at 843-564-2464 to schedule a consultation or an appointment. I can't wait to help others receive and conceive their new bundle of joy!
Today I created my latest t-shirt, the #GROWANDGLOW Ladies V-Neck T-shirt.
I have always wanted my own t-shirt line, so last year when I lived in Chicago I created one, A Soulful Touch Tees.
This T-shirt line is compromised of some of my favorite "Khetnuisms" and my love of all things Kemetic ( read ancient egyptian) yoga, holistic health and LOVE!
This particular shirt idea came about because about a year ago I started using the hashtag #growandglow on my facebook status. The hashtag started after someone commented on a photo I had posted and they remarked that I was glowing in the picture. I too noticed a new glow about myself and I thought about all the emotional, spiritual and mental growth I had incurred in my life at the time of that picture and hence the hashtag was born.
I chose sunflowers to be used in this design because they are my favorite flower and to me they represent the premise of the hashtag. Sunflowers grow to be very tall and they tend to glow under the sun's light. Sunflowers have been adopted as a symbol of happiness, strength and a love of the sun and sunlight. No matter what Sunflowers always face the sunshine....to me that's the most awesome representation of staying positive no matter what.
This shirt as well as the rest of the shirts in my t-shirt line can be found here on my website in the marketplace. All the shirts are made out of 100% cotton or other natural fibers and they ship quickly. And for a limited time all women's t-shirts are 15% off in my t-shirt shop when you use the coupon code: HEYMAMA at checkout. To go directly to my t-shirt shop click here!
If you purchase any t-shirt from my t-shirt be sure to send me a pic of you in your A Soulful Touch Tee at my facebook page www.facebook.com/asoulfultouch or on my instagram: @asoulfultouchwellness
OH and don't forget to #growandglow! :)
Last night I had the pleasure of being a guest on a teleseminar about holistic health protocols to assist individuals who are dealing with tumors and cancers. This call was put on by Yuma "Dr. Yew" Bellomee of Yew 360 Wholistic Health and Wellness, LLC out of the DC/Maryland area.
Dr. Yew is a good friend/colleague of mine and I enjoy working with him because he has a vast range of knowledge when it comes to herbs and holistic health. On the teleseminar, we discussed some of the most popular/viable holistic health protocols that are available, which included: foods, affirmations, essential oils and supplements.
To hear the call, click on this link and download it to listen: Yew360 Holistic Protocols for Cancer
Valentine's Day is this Friday and everyone is focusing on love more than ever before. This is a famous holiday for couples, however, those individuals who are not in a relationship often feel the sting of being alone during a time where being coupled up and in love is all the rage.
This year instead of providing information for couples, I have decided to look out for my single readers/clients. I am a huge proponent of self-love and what better day than Valentine's Day than to offer some advice for single people to bask in love on this day as well.
First of all, know that you are worthy of love, and that no national holiday should determine that for you. So please don't torture yourself this Valentine's Day because you aren't in a relationship or eating dinner in a crowded restaurant with a member of the opposite sex. Treating yourself to a day of self-indulgence is just what you need to take your mind off of things. Here is a list of five things that you can do to make this day ( or any day) special for yourself.
Strawberry Margarita Salt Scrub
1 cup of Salt
1 handful of real strawberries, preferably organic mashed
5 drops of doTERRA Lime essential oil
2 Tablespoons of your favorite carrier oil (choose from almond, olive, grapeseed, safflower, coconut oil for example)
Mix the salt, carrier oil and strawberries together. Add lime oil after main ingredients are completely mixed. Once a week, rub the scrub all over the body, then rinse with water in the shower.
Strawberries help to tone the skin, and it also helps to lighten any hyperpigmentation problems, and it helps to keep the skin smooth and supple. Keep the body scrub in an airtight container.
3. Learn how to make a new recipe. Try out making a new dish. Pull out your fancy silverware and dishes and make yourself a meal worthy of the person you are. Maybe try something out of the norm for you like a great meatless dish. www.vegweb.com is a great website to visit for inspiration.
4. Watch your favorite romantic comedies. Even though these movies focus on couples in love, they often are filled with comedic twists that will help to lighten up the mood about this day for you. Put that Netflix movie subscription to work and pop up some popcorn and live vicariously through the people on the screen.
5. Send love to someone else. Volunteer at a local charity and help someone less fortunate than you. Grab a box of children's valentine's cards and send one to the people that you love in your life, you never know how that small and silly gesture can make someone else's day.
Remember that Valentine's day should not define when and how to love others or yourself. Start treating it as a day to celebrate love in general, not just romantic love between two people. Go forth this friday and revel in the universal beauty of love in it's purest form.Don't forget to start with yourself.
To learn more about doTERRA essential oils, be sure check out my personal website www.mydoterra.com/asoulfultouchwellness or give me a call at 843-564-2464.
LaDawn "Khetnu Nefer" Frasier is a multi-passionate women's holistic health coach, who is dedicated to helping women overcome issues with their womb. As a uterine cancer survivor and a woman living with PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) she knows first hand how important holistic health is in helping women to heal themselves. This blog chronicles her health journey as well as provide tip and tools for others to utilize on their holistic health path.